MVC - Develop data capture methods and charts to track effort for technical writers
The technical writing team has begun to pilot a capacity track process using scoped labels, and needs help automating some of the data capture to lower the participation barrier for the team.
We know that our needs will grow and change over time, but we'd like to start by landing a MVC we can build on.
Scoped labels we use
tw::finishedto show the status of the TW's work (because sometimes a TW is finished long before an issue actually closes)
tw-weight, showing the amount of effort expended. Values are 1, 3, 5, 8, and 13.
Caveats about our data
- We work in all the major GitLab repositories, so searching both the
gitlab-orggroups is important.
- We need to check both merge requests and some issues, but for the purposes of MVC, we can do merge requests first. Most, but not all, of our work is captured in merge requests. We are frequently asked for UX / UI consults, which are handled in issues (and would be only issues in which we're interested in, at this time). We add our scoped labels to a merge request, if one exists. If it doesn't exist, we add the labels to the issue.
- How many issues and merge requests received the tw::finished scoped label in a milestone?
- We can calculate the total number of points per milestone across all groups/stages by adding these numbers together:
- Number of merge requests / issues with tw-weight::1
- 3 * Number of merge requests / issues with tw-weight::3
- 5 * Number of merge requests / issues with tw-weight::5
- 8 * Number of merge requests / issues with tw-weight::8
- 13 * Number of merge requests / issues with tw-weight::13
We are interested in more detailed metrics, but we recognize we should ask for a MVC first, and then iterate.