Capture Interactions with Requirements
As Category:Requirements Management becomes more mature, we want to transition from measuring success based on number of requirements created to interactions with requirements.
A general workflow for teams utilizing requirements would be as follows:
- Create high level requirements (requirements at a group level) - not yet implemented in GitLab
- Create low level requirements (requirements at a project level) - Implemented in GitLab %12.10
- Develop design / code / testing by referencing requirements
- Link appropriate design / code / test to requirements - Test linking MVC in %13.1
In short, the actual creation of requirements is only a small piece of capturing the benefits of having a requirements based development approach - the far greater measure of success is to measure the interactions with requirements - specifically viewing and tracing to requirements.
After we are able to achieve requirement creation metrics via Usage Ping, we would like to plan out and implement the next steps as follows:
- Track requirement navigation changes - are users paging through requirements?
- Track requirements filter events - are users searching for requirements to reference them?
- Track linking events - are users linking both code and tests to requirements?