Harden Usage Ping
Usage ping in it's current state is fragile. If another stage team adds a complex counter to usage ping, we need to ensure the entire usage ping does not break.
- If it's a database timeout, usage ping will work but the specific counter will simply provide back a value of -1. We''re currently trying to optimize these queries, here are some examples which counters are currently timing out: gitlab#205281 (comment 298541599)
- If it's an uncaught error, it currently will break and other data will be lost. For example
avg_cycle_analyticswas giving an uncaught error: gitlab!26381 (merged). We've implemented a fix for that. MVC
- On the versions app side which receives the payload, if dirty data in the usage ping is passed, it currently is not cached and the usage ping is discarded.
Isolate usage ping for robustness
- 12.10 Consolidate all counters into four main counters with fail safes gitlab#212403 (closed)
add_usage_datato all 400 counters
- Usage Data Counter Interface gitlab#212403 (closed)
- Isolate Redis Counters gitlab#212402 (closed)
- Save original usage ping payload before parsing https://gitlab.com/gitlab-services/version-gitlab-com/-/issues/281
- Convert Counter: