Create an onboarding scorecard (qualitative) to measure and track onboarding improvements
Growth team KPIs align nicely to work that improves onboarding, and we will be able to track our success against these (improving usage in specific areas, conversions, etc). However, this won't measure user satisfaction with onboarding or how well we're implementing onboarding in other stages of the product.
What if we create an "Onboarding Scorecard" to help us track the quality of onboarding experiences in Gitlab?
The scorecard would be probably be two parts:
- Part 1: Criteria/heuristics for onboarding experiences, based on the work the Growth team does in coming weeks. Ideally it would refer to our Category Maturity definitions in terms of what minimal onboarding looks like, all the way to Lovable.
- Part 2: A list of stage groups along with some kind of score on how they meet the criteria.
This would allow stage groups to easily identify where they are in terms of onboarding experiences, and they would know exactly what steps to take to get to the next level of improvement.
I'm picturing this as a really lightweight process and not a full UX Scorecard or Category Maturity Scorecard.
Some heuristics to consider (add more here)
- Explains the problem being solved/JTBD
- Communicates the value being delivered
- Provides clear guidance on how to get started
- Guidance carries through to the moment of value
- Time to value of < 5 minutes
- Documentation: do we have a suitable first time experience tutorial? Do we cover major use cases in sufficient detail?