Surfacing bottlenecks and capacity
- https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/6280 will tell us where bottlenecks are in the value stream.
- If merge requests are constantly in code review for a long time, but no actual active work is actually done to review it, i.e. there are big gaps of time where people are not actively reviewing, then GitLab will surface this information as a bottleneck.
- GitLab will analyze this information and combined with capacity management, tell us where we need to either increase resources, or make changes to our process.
- For example, if code review takes too long, we may want to dedicate a higher ratio developer time to code review over code construction (development), in order to balance out the value stream and reduce bottlenecks. But even better, we should make smaller merge requests (i.e. smaller scoped changes), and the overall efficiency will increase.
- GitLab will be able to measure and surface this information.