Wait time and working time in stage on board
- https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/6271 measures how much time is spent in a stage in the board for value stream management.
- This issue goes one level deeper.
- It analyzes how much time within a stage, that an idea or the topic or the code was actually worked on. Sometimes, it is just sitting in a stage, because nobody has capacity to work on it.
- So for example, if a merge request is opened on Monday, but nobody works on code for the whole week, but somebody begins actual work the following week, then the whole week is wasted and considered wait time. Afterward, the merge request code is completed the following week. So overall, the efficiency is 50%.
- We use commits, comments, and other interactions to automatically determine wait time and working time.
- We also use manual time entry (time tracking) to track wait time versus working time.