Local ordering on Issue Boards
Problem to solve
Right now, issues are ordered within an issue board based on their global relative order value. When an issue is represented on multiple issue boards, prioritization becomes complicated as changing lists on one issue board impacts the positioning of the issue on all other boards.
- Parker (Product Manager)
- Delaney (Development Team Lead)
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Presley (Product Designer)
- Provide an option to prefer local ordering on an issue board over global relative ordering.
- Each board and list maintains its own order.
- You can toggle between global and local ordering without erasing/overwriting the order of each.
This will make it easy to add the following capabilities in future iterations:
- Expose the order and enable users to quickly assign an issue card to a specific order value (no drag and drop across an issue list with 50 issue cards in it).
Permissions and Security
- Permissions should follow the current model for those roles that can configure an issue board.
- Updates will be required.
- Acceptance test to verify that switching between the two works seamlessly and does not overwrite either.
- I should be able to switch from global to local, order things, switch back to global, then back to local and have the order set based on the most recent ordering I did while in "local mode"
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- Quantitative: Count of boards in "local order" mode.
What is the type of buyer?
- This is a quality of life things for Issue Boards. As such, it would be in core.
Links / references