Create a dedicated page for viewing and linking each Release
Problem to solve
We want to work on multiple UI additions related to Evidence collection for Releases &1856 and Make Releases page viable &764 in 2019. Additionally, we have a couple of issues requesting persistent links to releases, whic
At some point, it will be possible to show audit events in a Release entry, have an audit filterable page, who created a release, who edited, who added artifacts, who moved out of draft and other change events. The current interface of the Releases page is very limited and will not support all the information the user will want to see and manage, while working with and planning Releases. We also want to be able to support the linking of release in #16821 as well as #27300.
We should create individual pages (entries) per release, where all the information related to a specific release can be stored, managed, and filtered to enable the direct linking of a release.
Anyone responsible for managing a Release, for example:
- Parker (Product Manager)
- Delaney (Development Team Lead)
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Devon (DevOps Engineer)
Primary - Use Case 1: A user may need to evaluate all of the activities, changes, and artifacts a part of a release on the release page. This would be most consumable per release entry
Future - Use Case 2: A user may need to manage all of the artifacts, assets, filters, and audit downloads of a release. To make this management as easy as possible, this would mean the Page per Entry should be designed/built so that in a future iteration, a user can manage the information
- Make sure we have a dedicated page per Release entry.
- Keep the current overview releases page, but allow user to click the item and access the Release dedicated entry.
- Update all links that currently point to a specific item on the Releases page (i.e.
.../-/releases#v1.2) and instead link directly to the Release's dedicated page.
- Consider removing the ability to target specific releases on the Releases page altogether (essentially revert !17150 (merged)).
- In the Releases page, when releases are created, user sees an overview of all Releases items created. No changes on the interface, designs should match #26016 (closed)
- User should be able to click on the Release title. Clicking the title should take the user to the Release's dedicated page.
- A breadcrumb should be present on the page to indicate the path in the navigation. The breadcrumb should reflect the name of the Release being displayed.
- The dedicated Release page displays the same data as the overview.
- User should be able to perform all actions based on its access privileges.
Permissions and Security
- All Release View Pages should inherit the project permissions
- The release pages should show all related attributes of a release on the View Page
- We would want to make sure the right permissions on Milestones, Projects, and Releases are inherited so that users who can see/view all the related pieces are able to see/access the View Page
- All the behaviors of these view pages should match the release pages - links behaving the same and markdown operations should also match
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- With this feature, we should see an increase in the MAUs for the release page
- We should also see an increase in Users creating links between any added release attributes, such as milestones, assets, and runbooks
- We could see an increase in downloading audit logs from this page
What is the type of buyer?
Out of scope
- Validation #38214
- Add filtering by each parameter, filtering on action, filtering on item
- Add Author/Action/Target/Timestamp
- Add action description
- Add item
- Community Edition/Core