Jenkins Plugin should support triggering pipelines from fork
Problem to solve
Sourced from: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20500126#20505392
Most of the things in GitLab work great but we have the problem that we want to use Jenkins instead of the build in CI/CD solution but the only way to trigger MR jobs from GitLab forks in Jenkins is this non maintained plugin which has been in alpha since we started two years ago https://github.com/Argelbargel/gitlab-branch-source-plugin
Basically what we need is functionality which makes it possible to do:
- there is a canonical git repo for a component
- a dev doesn't have write access to it
- they fork it into their own private user name space
- they change it and create a merge request for the canonical git repo for one of the branches
- the merge request creates (or triggers) a job in Jenkins => this is where our research showed that only the unmaintained gitlab-branch-source-plugin plugin can do that https://github.com/Argelbargel/gitlab-branch-source-plugin
- Jenkins builds it and reports the status back to GitLab
- If it created a new job that job is removed after the MR gets merged.
It would be nice if, like the other plugin does it one could have it's own job for this MR with it's own history but I guess we could live also with a shared history if you could have the MR buld history in GitLab only.
update: I forgot to write that we use Jenkinsfile based pipelines, not sure if this is important.