Documentation: Add "life of a CI/CD job"
We should add a concept of "the life of a GitLab CI/CD job" to our documentation. This will be useful for understanding as a user what happens when a job is executed. Will also be useful to developers and contributors to understanding the back and forth that happens between GitLab and the runner when a job is executed. This will also help the ~Verify product team understand the UX around the speed of job execution, etc.
graph TD id01[git push] id02[git tag] id03[Merge request merged] id04[Schedule triggered] id05[Merge requst created] id08[API trigger] id09[Manual pipeline run] id06[Event triggers pipeline creation] id01-->id06 id02-->id06 id03-->id06 id04-->id06 id05-->id06 id08-->id06 id09-->id06 subgraph GitLab id07[Parse .gitlab-ci.yml] id06-->id07 id10[Create stages & jobs] id07-->id10 id11[Add jobs to Sidekiq queue] id10-->id11 end subgraph Runner id12[Pinging for new jobs] id13[Picks job based on tags, priority, etc.] id13-->id11 end
New doc or update?
- New documentation
- Update existing documentation
- Add the correct labels
- Add the correct milestone
- Indicate the correct document/directory for this feature
- Fill the doc blurb below
Feature use cases
- Copy the doc blurb above and paste it into the doc
- Write the tutorial - explain how to use the feature
- Submit the MR using the appropriate MR description template