Add issue participants via email address
Problem to solve
Currently, the service desk will monitor incoming emails and create issues. When comments are made on those issues, email participants will receive updates via email.
However, it is currently not possible to create an issue and add email participants, effectively preventing the Service Desk from initiating a conversation with a customer/team member.
- Support Engineer
As a support engineer, I would like to create issues on behalf of my end-users and have them be included via email to responses.
- End User
As an end user, I need the ability to receive updates to my support queries when an issue has been created for my issue.
The current Service Desk implementation allows a one-way path for end-users to create issues. However, not all end-user issues are a result of an incoming email. During a customer call / support call, issues may be brought up that should be captured.
Operating under this paradigm, it is not possible to add email addresses to these created issues so that the end-user can receive issue updates and collaborate on resolution.
When creating an issue on behalf of an end-user, a support engineer should be able to add additional participants via email address. This would allow the end-user to receive updates as the issue is worked, and to collaborate on issue resolution.
Permissions and Security
In a support role, often times customer data is involved and the issue is marked as
Confidential. We need to carefully evaluate the ability to add participants so that we respect the privacy of customer data.
- Update documentation to describe the workflow of adding email participants to issues.
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- Participant can be added to an issue via email, and will receive email updates in the same manner as is currently implemented when a Service Desk issue is created via email.
- Improves the experience for the GitLab IT Helpdesk
- Metrics available to show feature usage.
What is the type of buyer?
This feature extends existing
Service Desk functionality which is a GitLab Premium feature.
Links / references
- This was identified by our internal IT Helpdesk team as a blocker for full adoption - see IT Helpdesk epic.