Specify time frame for Grafana chart embeds
Problem to solve
Grafana is frequently used to visualize Prometheus monitoring metrics. We want to enable the embedding of these metrics in GitLab issues to help users save time during the fire fight by:
- Provide immediate context to the incident when someone looks at it for the first time
- Eliminating the need to screenshot, copy, and paste visuals into issues
Incidents are triggered at a certain point in time. We want users to be able to specify the time frame for the data displayed on these charts so that the information is clear and relevant.
This work contributes to the Incident Management Vision
Enable users to embed time specific links to Grafana charts in GitLab issues.
- User specifies a time frame for a metric on the Grafana dashboard
- User generates a link from a specific Grafana dashboard metric panel and pastes it into the issue description or in a comment of a new issue
- The chart unfurls from the link
- User can click on the link and it will take them back to the full dashboard in Grafana
- User can update the time frame in the URL directly
- If the user chooses an invalid time frame, we show an error state where the metric would be
Permissions and Security
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
What is the type of buyer?
Links / references