Group level required CI jobs (group level required include:)
Problem to solve
As a followup to https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/8429, we want to expand that functionality to be available at the group owner level. That will enable groups on an instance (and on
GitLab.com) to take advantage of this feature
- DevOps Engineer
- Development Team Lead
This contributes to our vision enabling users of GitLab.com to take advantage of #8429 (closed).
In addition, this feature will leverage the exisiting
include functionality in GitLab to combine the required yaml with the yaml from the project. That means that any conflicting job names or other items will result in a linting error for the user.
Add a group administration item (available to owner only) for
Group template repository similar to the instance template repostiory. This will:
- Allow for the owner of the group to select a project within that group to be the template repository for the group
- Each of the template repository features are then "merged" with the instance and build in templates
- Dockerfiles show both instance and group level templates
.gitignorefiles show both instance and group level templates
.gitlab-ci.ymlfiles show both instance and group level templates
LICENSEfiles show both instance and group level templates
.ymlincludes are included from both the instance and group level (from #8429 (closed))
- If required (or desired from UX) this might be only at "top-level" groups just like Billing
Permissions and Security
This requires group ownership.
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- When there is both an instance and group template repository, each feature should be additive (both templates, both included required