Draft: Move participants to the top of the "Assign to" dropdown
What does this MR do?
However, I also agree that adding more to the UI might not be the right design choice. Looking at this a bit more closely, the best way to solve this problem might actually not be to move this into another spot, but making the dropdown for assignees smarter. Right now, we have the user themselves as the first choice, and then all other project members alphabetically.
A smarter choice could be to first show yourself, followed by the issue author and the other participants.
This MR makes the sidebar's "Assign to" dropdown context aware of participants in an issue/MR. This way, participants always show up at the top of the list (below your username, but above the alphabetical list of other project members.)
Why do this?
- By merging this, we can remove the "Assign to commenting user" button, thus reducing the amount of UI on the issues and merge request pages.
- It gives us the same functionality as the "Assign to commenting user" button, in that we can quickly click to assign a user without needing to type or copy/paste their name.
- It works on both issues and merge requests, where the current "Assign to commenting user" button only renders on issues.
- By merging this, we can close #229975 (closed)
- By merging this, we can close #222396
- It improves on an existing UI (the sidebar)
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
- Changelog entry
- Documentation (if required)
- Code review guidelines
- Merge request performance guidelines
- Style guides
- Database guides
- Separation of EE specific content
Availability and Testing
- Review and add/update tests for this feature/bug. Consider all test levels. See the Test Planning Process.
- Tested in all supported browsers
- Informed Infrastructure department of a default or new setting change, if applicable per definition of done
If this MR contains changes to processing or storing of credentials or tokens, authorization and authentication methods and other items described in the security review guidelines:
Label as security and @ mention
- The MR includes necessary changes to maintain consistency between UI, API, email, or other methods
- Security reports checked/validated by a reviewer from the AppSec team