Issue board types
The initial release of issue boards is awesome! But as pointed out several times during the discussion, there are different types of boards that people are interested in. The issue board currently reflects a "workflow stages" type of board. We should also consider offering, "issue types", "priorities", and "milestone" types. Maybe there should be an additional "generic" type.
When creating a new board, offer a menu of choices for
Workflow Stages: Work typically flows from left to right using Stages. Issues should have only one stage at a time
Backlog, On-Deck, In-Progress, In-Review, Done
Note 1: Backlog & Done not always shown due to the large quantity of items
Note 2: Backlog shows all issues without a Workflow Stage & isOpen
Note 3: Done shows all issues with or without a Workflow Stage & isClosed
- Backlog, On-Deck, In-Progress, In-Review, Done
Issue Types: Issues are commonly labeled with one or more context labels
- Issue Category - Bug, Enhancement, Readme, etc.
- Functional Area - API, UX, Frontend, etc.
Priorities: Priorities provide a rank so higher priority issues bubble to the top of the list.
Milestone: Issues are grouped together in a milestone regardless of Workflow or Label.
Links / references
- Earlier discussion: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/17907#note_12940204
- Depends on gitlab-org/gitlab-ee#929
- Should help solve https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/21660
- Swimlanes: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/979