Logging: Add feature flag to disable feature
Why are we doing this work
In 15.0, we start removing the code for Category:Logging. Before deleting code, we should introduce a feature flag to hide the feature. The guarantees we can effectively disable Logging in %15.0 and allows flexibility to complete the cleanup.
Tracking issue for all logging removal work: Monitor:Logging Deprecation (#346485 - closed)
Feature flag gates should be added for:
Enable Elastic Stack integrationcluster option |
Link to logs from pod on env |
View logslink from metrics panel
Monitor > Logspage (should 404) |
Monitor > Logsnav |
Logging-related field values in Env API |
Logging-related field values in Cluster API |
Add info about feature flag & timeline in:
elastic-stackdirectory from the cluster management project template
Remove references to Elastic Stack in https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/clusters/management_project_template.html#built-in-applications
- Globally enable a flag called
monitor_loggingon dot-com (before the flag exists)
- Add a feature flag in %15.0, called
monitor_loggingwhich is disabled by default.
- The documentation should be updated to reflect our plans for removal explicitly, including timeline.
- For flag rollout, selectively disable the flag for test projects/staging/etc to verify the feature removal/disablement. Globally disable the flag or delete any actor overrides to disable the feature for everyone.
- Begin code deletions in %15.2 [out of scope of this issue]
- This gives self-managed users a milestone to quickly regroup if they ended up surprised by the removal, and allows us time to delete the code as we have availability.
These areas of the app should be unavailable:
|Logs UI & left nav||Logs via metrics||Logs via envs||Logs Enablement UI|