Support customizable timeouts for git CLI 2FA
Problem to solve
Currently, the OTP timeout for git CLI 2FA is hard-coded to 15 minutes, which doesn't allow for any customization.
Personas are described at https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/marketing/product-marketing/roles-personas/
- Delaney (Development Team Lead)
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Devon (DevOps Engineer)
- Rachel (Release Manager)
- Simone (Software Engineer in Test)
User experience goal
After OTP has been validated, the user has 15 minutes to use
git commands that interact with the server (e.g.
pull) w/o requiring another OTP. After 15 minutes the user must request another OTP, which can be a problem for long-running processes, like automated builds.
The following use cases need to be covered:
gitlab.rbsetting instead of hard-coded value so a system-wide default can be set
- Follow-on enhancement: Provide a UI to set system-wide default (UPDATE: We have decided to skip the MVC above and proceed directly with providing UI to set a system-wide default)
- Follow-on enhancement: Provide per-user customization of timeout