[Feature flag] Rollout of `ci_rules_variables`
:ci_rules_variables feature flag ...
- Most appropriate slack channel to reach out to:
- Best individual to reach out to: @furkanayhan
What are we expecting to happen?
If the feature is not used, we expect nothing is changed.
What might happen if this goes wrong?
- Pipelines may not be started
- Pipeline variables may be wrongly assigned
These errors can not occur unless the project actively uses the new feature.
What can we monitor to detect problems with this?
If applicable, any groups/projects that are happy to have this feature turned on early. Some organizations may wish to test big changes they are interested in with a small subset of users ahead of time for example.
Roll Out Steps
- Confirm that QA tests pass with the feature flag enabled (if you're unsure how, contact the relevant stable counterpart in the Quality department)
Enable on staging (
/chatops run feature set feature_name true --staging)
- Test on staging
- Ensure that documentation has been updated
Enable on GitLab.com for individual groups/projects listed above and verify behaviour (
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab feature_name true)
Coordinate a time to enable the flag with the SRE oncall and release managers
@release-managers. Once an SRE on call and Release Manager on call confirm, you can proceed with the rollout
- Announce on the issue an estimated time this will be enabled on GitLab.com
Enable on GitLab.com by running chatops command in
/chatops run feature set feature_name true)
Cross post chatops Slack command to
#support_gitlab-com(more guidance when this is necessary in the dev docs) and in your team channel
- Announce on the issue that the flag has been enabled
- Remove feature flag and add changelog entry
After the flag removal is deployed, clean up the feature flag by running chatops command in
- This feature can be disabled by running the following Chatops command:
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab feature_name false