Create one metric for the Import GMAU
In this epic we added several metrics that count unique users engaging with different types of import actions:
However, the sum of these counts does not represent the true Import GMAU, as these users are not de-duped. Also, having one (well-named) number to track makes it simples to build dashboards and reports.
- Add a new usage ping metric that combines the individual metrics.
- This metric will count the number of unique users engaging any importer feature.
- Name this metric clearly, something like
The above-described proposal is technically challenging and will be a larger effort, as it combines the users data for projects, groups, and individual issue importers in order to dedupe them to arrive at unique user counts.
Therefore, we will approach this solution by iterating, as follows:
- Create a new usage ping that contains unique user counts for project importers only. This can be done much faster, as we already have a similar solution. - #297431
- Compare the count for project importers to the counts of issue and group importers to decide if the added precision warrants the additional investment.
- If needed, play this issue to instrument the full user counts. Otherwise, cancel this issue.