Plan for documenting flagged features
If a feature is available to some via a feature flag, docs should exist; it's just a question of where and how to present them.
We need to establish feature flag usage scenarios for GitLab CE/EE, and associated docs requirements for each. Then, we can work on how (in terms of process and technical changes) to do it.
Which of these are possible scenarios and how frequently are they expected to occur?
- Flagged feature released; off for GitLab self-managed, on for GitLab.com
- When might it be enabled for GitLab.com and can we hide the doc until that happens?
- What proportions of customers would be invited to turn on a feature in self-managed, and how frequently might that occur?
- How many months (releases) could the issue stay in each state in each environment, before GA?
Might any other scenarios exist beyond what is covered above?
We should create a doc under
/doc/administration/ that will list all features behind a feature flag with:
- what GitLab version they were introduced
- how to enable/disable the feature flag
- whether the feature is enabled on .com
- when the feature flag was removed and the feature was permanently enabled