Revisit the Kubernetes cluster UX after the Agent is released
Problem to solve
After the agent is installed the experience of selecting
Create new cluster and
Add existing cluster will be under the tab Cluster integrated with certificate per the designs in #228845 (closed). The current screen includes onboarding information about Kubernetes that will not be relevant any more as this will be the second step of the new flow. Also the user flow will not be intuitive any more and involves too many tabs and interactions.
The problem in a nutshell:
After we introduce the two tabs in the cluster listing the first UI view the user will land on will be this (or the agent tab depending on what we decide):
When they click the button “Connect cluster with certificate” they will navigate to this page:
The UX problems with this:
- The tabs GitLab Agent managed clusters and Clusters connected with Certificate are not visible in this flow (screen 2).
- If the user changes his/her mind there is no obvious way in the UI to navigate back (besides the browser back button).
- The hierarchy is not visible. The top level: clusters integrated with certificate is missing from this view.
- This page looks like a Kubernetes intro page because of the text on the left in screen 2.
- The look and feel of tabs is different creating a sense of inconsistency.
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Devon (DevOps Engineer)
- Sidney (Systems Administrator)
- Priyanka (Platform Engineer)
User experience goal
We need to make all the options clear for the user and optimise the flow for each of them.
Redesign the flow the user has for integrating Kubernetes clusters in GitLab (Create new cluster, Add existing, Connect with certificate, Connect with Agent).
- Redesign the tab hierarchy (add the top tabs to screen 2). The Create new cluster and Add existing cluster tab style and border will need to be redesigned.
- The introductory text Add a Kubernetes cluster integration (on the left hand side of Screen 2) needs to be incorporated in the empty state text of the top level (Screen 3) and removed from screen 2
- Decide if we want to remove the Create new cluster capability per previous discussions (which will remove the need for 2 tabs in Screen 2).
- Consider removing the "Create new cluster" functionality as it is not being used based on out Periscope data.
There is an idea to manage clusters with Terraform. Might be worth considering working on this change instead of redesigning the current flow.
Permissions and Security
Availability & Testing
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
What is the type of buyer?
Is this a cross-stage feature?
Links / references
The screen the issue is referencing