Enforce CI minutes limits for all public projects
Today public projects created before July 2021 are benefiting from unlimited CI minutes because we apply a cost factor
0 for those. We have been noticing a lot of abuses and unnecessary pipeline runs on those projects.
Per our pricing policy, public projects are included within the CI/CD minutes usage limit offered to free tier users. All free tier users should have CI minutes enforced on their public projects.
- Remove the check for the namespace creation date from the condition and apply the cost factor
0.008to public projects (retroactively).
Release Plan - could be done in the feature flag issue.
- Release the change behind a feature flag so we can control exactly when to enable it.
- After the feature flag is enabled and before we remove it: set
public_projects_minutes_cost_factor: 0.008for SaaS-only shared-runners. For this we could get a Gitlab.com admin to change the cost factor for each shared runner from
- Remove feature flag.
This will impact primarily old public projects on Free plan:
- if the public project is on Free plan, with
400 CI minutes limitit can use up to 50,000 minutes or 250,000 if on old
2000 CI minutes limit.
- any popular OSS projects should apply to the OSS program if they use more than 50,000 minutes - We may expect an uptick of requests so we should get the right team ready for that.
- if the project is on any paid plan, they won't see any impact at this stage since the minutes they'll be able to use with cost factor
0.008is sufficiently high.
This page may contain information related to upcoming products, features and functionality. It is important to note that the information presented is for informational purposes only, so please do not rely on the information for purchasing or planning purposes. Just like with all projects, the items mentioned on the page are subject to change or delay, and the development, release, and timing of any products, features, or functionality remain at the sole discretion of GitLab Inc.