Add GitPod Button to Open Project in GitPod
Problem to Solve
Users who want to use GitPod are forced to have a browser extension installed which connects GitLab to a GitPod configuration. This creates an initial barrier to using GitPod as an advanced editor that users might choose to use.
GitPod should integrate natively with GitLab for opening projects in a GitPod instance. This will allow users to easily open projects in GitPod.
- On the following pages replace the Web IDE button with a split button
- Project overview (/project)
- Repository (-/tree/branch)
- File (/-/blob/branch/file) - Secondary blue button
- Default button to Web IDE
- Clicking the attached dropdown button opens a dropdown with options to set the default button action
- Web IDE - text TBD
- Gitpod - text TBD
- Clicking the button should launch the Web IDE/Gitpod based on the chosen option
- Option choice should be persisted
- With Gitpod chosen, if the user has not enabled Gitpod in their user preferences, if the user clicks the Gitpod button, display a modal indicating they need to do so before they can use. Link to /profile/preferences
There is prior art in SourceGraph's Integration which takes a browser extension and creates a native experience in GitLab.