No way to contact admins from a gitlab instance
Problem to solve
As a user, I want to be able to contact the administrators of a gitlab instance. For now, I cannot find a way to do this on an up-to-date instance.
Every user that needs to report something to the admins of an instance
User experience goal
The user should be able to contact the admin, either using a dedicated messaging/issue system or by getting an email which is available when logged in.
The first solution would be to add a footer with the admin email for any logged in user. The second solution would be to create a ticket system or a chat that allows to have a direct conversation with an admin.
The use cases are the following :
- Requesting a new feature for the instance (support of git-lfs for example)
- Making admins aware of a security issue/misconfiguration in the gitlab instance.
Permissions and Security
- Allowing the admins to contact by email the user that tried to contact them
- Document the process of contacting a gitlab instance admin
- Document the configuration (if necessary) of the gitlab instance for the admins/sysadmins (adding the contact email address in the configuration file for example)
Availability & Testing
It might be necessary to implement a rate-limiting system to avoid spamming the admins or overloading them.
Unit-tests : establish a communication with the admin during the tests.
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
Measure success : have a way of contacting the admins of a gitlab instance.
What is the type of buyer?
Every user of every instance is likely to be interested by this feature.