macOS Build Cloud (Runners) on GitLab.com (Closed Beta)
Problem to solve
As a user of GitLab.com, I want to build my macOS CI jobs without needing to set up a macOS build environment and macOS Runner.
User experience goal
Closed beta users will be able to execute a job on a macOS virtual machine (VM), pre-configured with GitLab Runner.
Each macOS VM will be pre-installed with the tooling required to build apps for the Apple ecosystem. Refer to the related issue for details on the proposed base image stack for the closed beta.
CI jobs will have full access to the macOS virtual machine.
- To onboard a customer's project to the beta environment we will SSH to the VM, and register the project.
- The Shell executor will be used for the closed beta.
- It is expected that during the Closed Beta, the Runner team will have to manually perform clean up of the environment on an as needed basis.
- For the Closed Beta, only one standard VM type will be offered. The specs for the VM offered at beta launch = 2vCPUs, 8 GB RAM, 14 GB storage available for builds.
- For the Closed Beta, the MAC hardware used will be x86 only. We have not yet started to look at the new Arm powered systems from Apple. Mac Mini's running the A12Z processor are now available to developers in Apple's developer program so it is likely some of our community members will be testing out these systems soon.
- The macOS VM's will be hosted from data centers in the continental United States.
- Access to the Closed Beta release will be limited to a select group of customers and or users.
Closed Beta Sign up process
- To request access for the closed beta, customers will open an issue in the "macos-buildcloud-runners-beta" project.
beta_access_requestfor the issue description template.
- Add the required details and any other information to the issue and submit.
- Darren Eastman - PDM for the Runner will review the request and notify the customer via the issue that the request has been approved and connection details provided.
We will start onboarding customers for the close beta current the week of September 14, 2020.
Closed Beta usage guidelines
Not in scope
- Environment monitoring