Make more APIs accessible without authentication
Problem to solve
More APIs should work whithout authentication (and of course only give out public information then).
I wanted to build a public-accessible thing accessing the Jobs API but now had to create a personal access token for that. Project access tokens might fix a part of this, but no authentication required at all would be the optimum.
- Delaney (Development Team Lead)
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Devon (DevOps Engineer)
- Sidney (Systems Administrator)
- Rachel (Release Manager)
- Simone (Software Engineer in Test)
- Allison (Application Ops)
- Priyanka (Platform Engineer)
User experience goal
Anonymous users should be able to access APIs without authentication.
The people listed above should be able to build publicly accessible applications accessing the APIs directly.
- build an automatic release page where every job with a given name is treated as a release
- make it possible to add custom project badges with way more information
- ... I think this opens a lot of possibilities and the examples are enough
Permissions and Security
- No permissions are required to access the APIs
- APIs only return data the user is allowed to see, anon users only public data and authenticated users their data
- It might make sense to enable "public APIs" per project/group and/or be able to enable "public API" for a given set of APIs only