QRTLY COTERMS .COM: - API call to pull user/seat data from GitLab.com
Problem to solve
Users, particularly customers, often ask how they can see/count the number of unique members and see a list of them.
Finance/Billing, Group owner
Particularly in the context of GitLab.com, two main reasons they ask for this:
- align with subscription licensing number
- access management
Currently, support will pull a report for customers upon request using a rails script. This is also not currently possible with a single API call.
Make billable users which roll up to a group namespace accessible via the API. The billable members count is defined here
In the API include:
- Member Name
Email address - only display when the member has elected to display the email address publicly. (see example screenshot below)UPDATE: email address will not be included in this iteration but will be addressed in a follow-up iteration.
Nice to have if this does not increase scope greatly:
- Role - where multiple, provide the highest role (eg. Developer is higher than Reporter)
- Highest Membership Location: The Group/Subgroup/Project where they were added.
Group X: Members = Red (role: developer), Yellow (role: developer)
- Subgroup 1: Members = Red (role: developer), Yellow (role: developer), Green (owner)
- Subgroup 2: Members = Red (role: owner), Yellow (role: developer)
- Project 000: Members = Red (role: maintainer), Yellow (role: developer), Purple (maintainer)
- Project YYY: Members = Red (role: developer), Yellow (role: developer), Blue (reporter)
Expected members w/ role and membership location provided in API:
|Member Name||Role||Highest Membership location|
Permissions and Security
This is consistent with what group Owners can already do, but it requires viewing every project members list, or similar calls to the API. We are consulting legal in this issue to be sure we can provide the email address.
Would need to update:
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- Group owners can match their subscription user count to the group members list via API.
Links / references
- Most recent customer inquiry (internal): https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/115328
- Internal request for report
Sales Efficiency: $50k in first 90-days post implementation