Insights / report page embeddable in the GitLab Handbook
The Development and Quality groups use Sisense charts embedded in Handbook pages (example) to monitor department performance indicators. Both groups have expressed willingness to dogfood Analytics for specific KPIs if we can produce appropriate computations.
Problem to Solve
This issue extends Report Pages by allowing a user to embedded a chart. A user with appropriate permissions can choose to make a specific chart publicly viewable and obtain a link or other instructions for embedding into a handbook page much as Sisense does.
- A button with pop-up copies iframe code to the clipboard which can be pasted into an html page. See this design note.
- This MVC works only for public projects. A follow-on issue will address on granting permissions to private projects.
- This embedded chart is not a snapshot of the data, but a live run of the repot.
- A separate page will render a layout specifically for embeds but no changes to REST API are expected.
- Hide the feature behind a feature flag. Use gitlab-org group for beta test.
- Consider future adaptation of this feature for Generic Reports Page while developing.
See this design note.
Examples from our Handbook
It appears to be doing something like:
<embed width="100%" height="100%" style="min-height:300px;" src="https://www.periscopedata.com/api/embedded_dashboard?data=%7B%22chart%22%3A6204343%2C%22dashboard%22%3A463858%2C%22embed%22%3A%22v2%22%7D&signature=d8482812c8449378d555b8a5c9c640e8ab5f8b9ee4ed48838fe7d6441403f64c">
This story is a child of &3049.