Track jobs that generate web performance reports
Problem to solve
With the release of browser performance testing a new category was introduced. We want to measure the use of this features so that we can iterate on the features to increase usage. This should add a count for the number of times a browser performance report is created and uploaded so we can focus on the right opportunities to explore next.
This is for internal GitLab use.
We want to know how often:
- If a pipeline generated a browser performance testing report
Utilizing the ci_job_artifacts table which is already synced to our data warehouse and available in Periscope:
- Report upload datetime and status (success or failure)
- GroupID (or some sort of unique identifier that's pseudonomized if need be) so we can track how many users are using, not just totals.
Utilizing the documented method of tracking data through snowplow add tracking for:
- Report Creation Datetime
- Track if there is an error on upload or if success
Permissions and Security
- This doesn't need any sort of special permissions.
Availability & Testing
- Validate successful and error scenarios for upload such that both types show up if we can
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- The Testing North Star dashboard gets a chart showing pipelines that created browser performance reports.
- Data exists in periscope that can be queried for the dashboard
What is the type of buyer?