Are you sure you want to close this blocked issue?
Use the Package Registry UI to view different versions of the same package
Problem to solve
The Package stage allows you to publish, consume and discover packages, all in one place. Users publish and pull packages using GitLab CI/CD, the command line or the GitLab API.
Durring the troubleshooting process, users have repeatedly stated that understanding the different versions of a package, as well as the changes happening between each version, would be incredibly helpful but is currently unavailable. This currently leads to users looking at individual packages on their desktop to understand the changes that have occurred over the evolution of the package.
- Delaney (Development Team Lead)
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Devon (DevOps Engineer)
- Sidney (Systems Administrator)
The proposed solution is to add a "versions" tab in the package detail UI that lists out other versions of packages uploaded to the registry with the same namespace. included in the view is a list of the packages with the relevant data being displayed.
- The addition of the commit message in the list view (via expandable control maybe) could really bump up the relevance of the versions view.
Permissions and Security
- Update the section of the docs about using the UIScreenshots of the package detail view should be updated to include the tabbed navigation.
- A section of the documentation should include and explain the versions tab (how the packages are connected, where the data is coming from, etc.)
Availability & Testing
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
We will know we are successful if we can increase the adoption and usage of the Package Registry UI.
- The North Star metric of
total number of packages pushed/pulled
- Pageviews to
/packages(segmented by tab)