Extend CI/CD for GitHub Free period
The "GitLab CI/CD for GitHub available in the Free tier" promotion deadline of 2019-09-22 is approaching. We recently extended the deadline via https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/10106 in order to allow for metrics to be gathered to make a data-driven decision. Metrics will be gathered via https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/10198, which is only delivered in %12.3, so we should extend another six months in order to allow time for this data to be collected and make the right call.
A year ago when we shipped GitLab CI/CD for GitHub we made it available it 2 different tiers: Premium for self-managed and Free for GitLab.com. This breaks with the convention that we strive to match 1:1. The rationale here was that users on GitHub.com would be more likely to adopt GitLab CI/CD if it was free. We decided to run a limited promotion to make the feature available in Free on GitLab.com and reevaluate after a year. The notes on the conversation between Job and William are in the original go-to-market plan.
- Landing page: https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/github/#pricing
- Original Issue: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/4839
- Release post: https://about.gitlab.com/2018/03/22/gitlab-10-6-released/#gitlab-cicd-for-external-repos
- Docs: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/ci_cd_for_external_repos/
- Issue to previously extend 6 months after the original 12 month promotion: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/10106