Add full screen annotations to Visual Review tool
Problem to solve
When Presley or Parker want to leave feedback through Visaul Review tool they need to be very specific in their feedback or risk having the developer miss context of what they want to change. To solve this today they are forced to take screenshots and reference those through a second comment in the MR.
With #10761 (closed), we added the ability to start a discussion from the Visual Review tool. We should add to this the ability for the user to annotate a specific area of the screen, and link back to that specific part from the resulting discussion.
For example, the implementation could look something like:
- Inject a transparent layer on top of the entire DOM of the Review App
- When the user is in "Visual Review" mode, allow them to click on any element on the page.
- Record the actual coordinates of that click as part of the collected metadata and embed it into the link we'll add to the MR discussion
- When clicking the resulting link, another user is brought back to the same point that was clicked as part of the review
Optionally, we could allow for multiple points per discussion, and this may also relate to taking screenshots of the Review App planned as part of .
Permissions and Security
Apply the same permisions here as are used in Visual Reviews today.
- Update documentation to reference how to use the annotation functionality.
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- Increase usage of the Visual Review tool by counting times annotation is used.
What is the type of buyer?
Links / references
This page may contain information related to upcoming products, features and functionality. It is important to note that the information presented is for informational purposes only, so please do not rely on the information for purchasing or planning purposes. Just like with all projects, the items mentioned on the page are subject to change or delay, and the development, release, and timing of any products, features, or functionality remain at the sole discretion of GitLab Inc.