Support multiple users editing issues simultaneously
Problem to solve
Allow multiple users to collaborate in real-time on issues by being able to edit simultaneously. This would be useful for synchronous or mixed sync/async situations like incident response, or general meeting agendas.
Google Docs is standardised internally as the tool of choice for meeting agendas, in part because it allows multiple users to edit it at the same time. Using our own tool instead would mean that we gain the benefits of numerous features from GitLab Flavored Markdown, as well as automation / api features that already exist in GitLab issues.
Incident response issues and post-mortems already use GitLab issues since they leverage webhooks to trigger certain things (for instance, adding an
incident label triggers a slack message).
These are both scenarios where it would be useful for to edit the description at the same time:
- to add vital information about an ongoing incident.
- to add timeline information during a post-mortem discussion.
- Replace a 3rd party tool (google docs) with one of our own. +dogfooding
- Make meeting notes better by leveraging GFM features
- Have meetings indexable / searchable internally
- Build more automation around meeting notes, since we have more control over the API