Deprecate windows batch
Windows batch is old has unique inconsistencies, which results in a high cost for maintainability and development. Windows Batch is already not being considered for windows docker executor. We should officially deprecate support for windows batch with the goal of removing it altogether.
- %11.11: In %11.11 we are going to announce the deprecation of Batch. At this point it no longer receives new feature development, but is supported for critical issues
- %12.0: In %12.0 We implement point 1 & 2 in the proposal below
- %13.0: In %13.0 we completly remove windows Batch from GitLab Runner codebase and will no longer be available or supported
Below are the steps we should follow for deprecating windows batch:
Update documentation specifying that this is deprecated and should have the following information:
- The reason we are deprecating this !1371 (merged)
- Deprecated will follow the product definition at https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/product/#deprecated
Provide a guide to the user how they should migrate away to batch, for example showing them how to invoke batch through PowerShell, for example
Start-Process "cmd.exe" "/c C:\Path\file.bat"!1412 (merged)
When a user registers a new runner shell executor we default to
cmd, but now it should default to
Decide on a milestone where we can remove support and windows batch completely from GitLab Runner code base.
- Done, check timeline above