Allow per-site custom configuration of GitLab Pages using a file in the repo
We have a number of open issues that all make requests with an attribute in common:
- #22 - HTTP Basic auth support
- #23 - route all requests to index.html
- #24 - a custom list of redirects
- #28 - Add HSTS headers
- #50 - General-purpose extra headers mechanism, particularly covering caching headers
- #66 (closed) - CORS configuration (global-only at present)
- #80 - Prevent direct access to namespace.gitlab.io
- #89 - custom MIME types per-project
These all want to have custom HTTP server configurations for their sites.
Rather than picking piecemeal solutions, it would be nice to consider a single solution that could support all these use cases in a standard, unified way.
In #24 I suggested
.htaccess file support, and I do think that a (partial, limited) implementation would allow all of the above to be supported, but I'm open to other suggestions too.