Allow protected branch creation via web and API
What does this MR do?
This MR allows users with merge permission to create branches that match any protected branches added to a repository. This is only allowed to be done via web interface and API.
API and feature specs aren't added (I added them initially but then removed) as
gitlab-shell hooks don't actually run on test environment. As a result, those tests just pass regardless so I decided to remove and not add them.
What are the relevant issue numbers?
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
- Changelog entry added, if necessary
- Documentation created/updated via this MR
- Documentation reviewed by technical writer or follow-up review issue created
- Tests added for this feature/bug
- Tested in all supported browsers
- Conforms to the code review guidelines
- Conforms to the merge request performance guidelines
- Conforms to the style guides
- Conforms to the database guides
- Link to e2e tests MR added if this MR has Requires e2e tests label. See the Test Planning Process.
- Security reports checked/validated by reviewer
Closes #53361 (closed)