New project from Template has different permissions
When a User has the Developer role at the Group level and creates a new Project within the Group, their role on that Project depends on how it is created:
- If they create a blank Project, they get Developer access
- If they create a Project from an Instance-level Project Template, they get Maintainer access
- It's not clear whether they can create a Project from a Group-level Template or not (See EE 12806)
Note I've only seen this on GitLab.com and I assume it's the same on self-managed instances.
Steps to reproduce
- Create a Group
- Add a Member to the Group with Developer access
- Sign out and then sign in as that Member
- Create a Project in the Group using the "Blank project" tab
- Create a Project in the Group using the "Create from template" tab
What is the current bug behavior?
The User who created the Project has Developer access to the Project created from the "Blank project" tab but Maintainer access to the Project created using the "Create from template" tab.
What is the expected correct behavior?
The User should have Developer access to both Projects. Or, if that's wrong, then they should have Maintainer access to both Projects - but at least it should be consistent.
Output of checks
This bug happens on GitLab.com.