Group level Container Registry browser
Problem to solve
The GitLab Container Registry does not provide users the ability to view and pull images at the Group level. As a result, organizations that leverage groups/sub-groups are forced to navigate to individual projects to find the image they are looking for. This results in duplication of efforts or a lack of collaboration on sharing and promoting Docker images amongst teams.
Similar to the GitLab Maven Repository, we will allow users to view and pull Docker images/tags at the group level. Users will still build and push images to a given project, but the images will be available for viewing and pulling at the group level.
In the UI, we will add
Group -> Packages -> Container Registry below
Group -> Packages -> List so that users can search, copy image/tag URLs and remove tags.
Permissions and Security
- All users reporter and above can view items in the group level container registry
- There are no documentation updates needed for this issue.
- Test that containers from sub-groups and projects are being displayed
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- Success looks like we start to give our users visibility into the container registry beyond just the project. To start, we will measure:
- page views as a proxy for adoption
- number of items deleted from the group level UI