What does this MR do?
Allows changing the default favicon to a custom icon. The CI status favicons are generated from the original image as well.
- Upload custom favicon in appearance settings
- Main favicon is replaced by the custom one
- All CI status favicons are generated from the uploaded image
Additionally the overall handling and generation of favicon was changed and cleanup up:
- Favicons are in png format, browser support is good enough
- CI Status favicons are generated on the client. On the backend only the overlays are kept, the statically generated icons were removed.
Are there points in the code the reviewer needs to double check?
Why was this MR needed?
GitLab already allows to customize the login screen and the header logo. Allowing to customize the favicon as well greatly helps differentiating the different GitLab instances.
The development of this MR is sponsored by @ siemens (/cc @bufferoverflow).
Screenshots (if relevant)
CI status icon
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
- Changelog entry added, if necessary
- Documentation created/updated
- API support added
- Tests added for this feature/bug
- Has been reviewed by UX
- Has been reviewed by Frontend
- Has been reviewed by Backend
- Has been reviewed by Database
- Conform by the merge request performance guides
- Conform by the style guides
- Squashed related commits together