Integrate VS Code in browser for seamless Dev Workflow
Problem to solve
Every developer needs to set up dev environments in their workflow. And its the biggest pain and time & energy-consuming process. We can remove this tedious work by integrating VS Code in the browser by this open-source project https://github.com/cdr/code-server which will create a container to run vs code in the browser and we can manage this workflow through gitlab's runner based on docker. So after implementing this developer will have one-click access to vs code in a browser running for their project development.
Any developer working on any technologies
- No more requirement to set up a dev environment for any developer
- It saves tons of time and energy for developers
- Even new developers can start their development without even dev environment setup experience with predefined dev environments templates to choose or we can recommend based on code in their repo
- It runs on docker gitlab runner so it won't give much load to gitlab servers
- This will also help gitlab to remain ahead on DevOps game
- Integrate Coder open source technology into gitlab to start docker container in docker gitlab runner which will provide VS Code running in the browser with cli
- You guys just need to bridge this by networking stuff like docker gitlab runner send updates to pipeline page in gitlab
- With one click setting gitlab users will be able to use it
- They can use vs code in browser with cli so there will be no dependency of machine and dev environment setup and updates and all
Permissions and Security
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
After implementing this developer will be able to work and develop any technology from any machine with browser only no required anything else