Companies are beginning to consider using interactive notebooks, such as Jupyter notebooks, for DevOps/SRE work. Instead of a markdown/text runbook, consider a fully interactive runbook with support for pulling in metrics as well as an integrated "command line" tool to take action.
Consider this prior art: https://www.nurtch.com/
We already have, or are working on, many of the potential components:
- Similarly, an interface for executing ChatOps commands outside of Slack. Effectively your CLI, or you can bring your own as well.
- Metrics integration with Prometheus.
- We should provide a simple tool to explore the integrated Prometheus data from Jupyter notebooks.
- This could route through GitLab to provide k8s proxy capabilities, so the notebook doesn't have to have direct access to the Prometheus server.
- Tracing, Logs
- We should also incorporate the ability to pull in tracing and logging data, similarly to Metrics
- Merge Request/Issues/Commits
- It would be nice to clearly refer to problematic commits, diffs in MR's, etc.
With the integration of Notebooks into GitLab, this could be an extremely powerful interactive tool.