Plugin hooks for annotating source view
I have a number of source-related pages and apps and on my server, for example:
- Generated API docs, eg doxygen/sphinx/swagger
- Pages rendered from package metadata, eg setup.py/PKG-INFO
- Issue/feature trackers other than the one built into GitLab.
- Cross-reference management (Kythe)
- Perf characterization info
Right now, these kinds of pages are capable linking to GitLab, but there isn't a great way for GitLab to link back. This prevents GitLab from being the kind of authoritative resource that it could be for us.
If the hook takes too long to return, it times out and no annotation occurs.
The motivation in the end is to allow a richer class of plugins; plugins which not only respond to GitLab events and mutate its state, but also that augment its own views.