Specify variables when running a manual job
Problem to Solve
When users want to execute manual jobs, they can click on the Play button. There is no chance there to specify a variable at that point without affecting the whole project, though. There are cases that can benefit from this: for example to select one of the possible behavior of the job, or to pass custom values to the application that is going to be deployed.
Allow users to specify variables when running a manual job. Users will be asked to enter key/values pairs (just like the start a pipeline page), and these will be passed to the job overriding possible existing values.
Starting a manual job with variables defined should be an optional action, and not the default (i.e., users just running a manual action in a normal way should not have to click extra times to say that they don't want to specify any variables.)
Issue scope has been defined as to only include this functionality on the Job detail view/job log page. We'll directly include the option for variables there.
- Job detail page/job log page will include variable fields similar to
- Empty state width will be expanded to
- The text will be left aligned to be inline with empty state documentation/component
- Description updated to
This job requires manual intervention to start. Before starting this job, you can add variables below for last-minute configuration changes.
- When retrying a manual job the job page will be reset to the empty state. This means another click will be necessary to trigger the manual action, but the user will also be offered the option to re-input variables.
- Note: Dropdown in the mockup is not part of the scope of the current issue.