Funny things - we're using GitLab CE as our internal repository for local projects and the issues with uploaded files have never been issues, because we have shell access.
But today I came across this problem on my Gitlab.com account. Basically, I'm concerning about the following aspects:
- There is no way to restore a direct link to attached file if the page was accidentally refreshed or closed. You have to re-upload the file, thus creating unused duplicates.
- There is no way to track dead images that are no longer needed/used.
- There is no way to delete attached files if some of them were uploaded by mistake.
This applies both to wiki pages and issues.
As I can see them at this moment:
- First approach: a small attachment manager (e.g. when you can see all the attached files below the the text area).
- Second approach: Add a new section in Admin panel (something like Media in WordPress) that will show all attachments and where they are attached (or not)
Alternative approach: make
uploadsfolder (especially for Gitlab.com projects) cloneable using
git cloneor downloadable via UI
gitlab-org/gitlab-ce#23071 (Slightly related)
gitlab-org/gitlab-ce#21818 (Slightly related)