[proposal] Merge EE docs into CE docs
- Single source of truth both in the source code and at docs.gitlab.com
- docs.gitlab.com/ce and docs.gitlab.com/ee are merged and become docs.gitlab.com/docs or docs.gitlab.com/gitlab (discuss)
- No merge conflicts
- All docs are open source which is useful for GitLab.com
- Having EE docs alongside CE, will clearly showcase the added features of EE
- How to display EE content in CE docs. We need a way to clearly convey the message that the docs are EE only. Maybe a note-like banner at the top of EE-only docs.
- It’s difficult to implement the above since we also need to think about the built-in help page. When we separate the built-in help page as stated in https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/18739 this will no longer be a problem.
- URLs redirection since all URLs will change and served under a single subdirectory (docs.gitlab.com/docs). Docs.gitlab.com will be used as a portal with links to other docs, like Runner, GitHost.io, guides, etc.
- Document the process in the doc guidelines
- Have each contributor to EE docs agree on the MIT license
- Implement link redirection. If we host the docs with Pages this cannot be done as we no longer can manage the web server. Will need to think this through.