Slack slash commands
Developers want to be able to issue commands to GitLab via a chat interface (aka ChatOps). Let's provide an MVP of a GitLab integration to Slack.
As a developer and product manager, slash commands integration (from #19838 (moved)) works better than bot integration. The slash commands feel more natural with Slack. There's no benefit by having a "bot" that users can talk with, @ mention, etc. The app backend could exist in the main Rails app of GitLab without requiring additional containers/processes/configuration.
- Add a Slack webhook backend to GitLab CE
- Add instructions to configure slash commands in Slack
- Use this link in the setup text for “Add a slash command”: https://my.slack.com/services/new/slash-commands
- Add UI to enable webhook for GitLab project
- Support various read-only slash commands (e.g. /issue). Potential (incomplete) vocabulary:
- /issue [ISSUE]
Links / references
- Reduced scope from #20799 (closed)