Block merge request with a negative approval signal
As a project maintainer or senior developer, when I am reviewing merge requests I may see a merge request that is problematic and needs significant work before it can be merged. It may not be a code quality problem but it might conflict with other work that is currently happening in a different team that other eligible approvers may be unaware of. I want to be able block (negative approval) a merge request so that it doesn't get approved and merged by other team members.
Original requesters use case:
- A developer opens a merge request
- A reviewer gives it a quick glance and approves it
- Another reviewer points out an error the first reviewer missed
Other tools support similar capabilities.
- Gerrit supports voting with
- GitHub supports requesting changes (negative, blocking) or leaving comments (netural) or approval
An eligible approver may:
- approve (already implemented)
- request changes
When changes have been requested a warning/alert should be shown highlighting that one or more users have requested changes.
If an eligible approver requests changes, the merge request cannot be merged until the same approver removes their changes request or approves the merge request.
Links / references
- Zendesk: https://gitlab.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/29243
- Gerrit voting system: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-labels.html
- GitHub request changes: https://help.github.com/articles/about-pull-request-reviews/