Burndown chart with stacked lines in boards
- @andrewn is creating custom burndown charts with stacked lines for the GCP migration project.
- For example,
- We can do something similar in GitLab's burndown charts.
- This will give more flexibility to teams using burndown charts.
- In particular, we want to have burndown charts associated with boards, i.e. #6056 (closed). In that case, a burndown chart is already scoped to a particular team. (I.e. a team has a set of filters/scope for the board already, and that carries over to the board itself.)
- But say the team wants to further separate the burndown on different aspects. For example, for the ~Discussion team, perhaps we want to see issues issues and merge requests issues burndown separately.
- We need to determine how to do this in GitLab, and be general enough. One difficulty is that in the above example, some issues will have both the labels issues and merge requests . The stacked lines usually imply distinct data. If we follow that same exact design, that may be unclear.
- One potential design is that on a given burndown chart, you can add additional lines. Each lines represents a further filtering of the burndown chart. And the lines just appear below the top most line. And so you create each additional line by filtering by labels, assignees, milestones, etc. But again, we have to be clear that the stacking doesn't not imply mutual exclusion.