Prometheus Query Builder
We need to build a GUI based query builder, which would achieve a few goals:
- Provide a way to easily configure new custom metrics. Right now you have to "bring your own", which may not be easy if you don't have direct access to the Prometheus server.
- Function as the basis for an interactive debugging/troubleshooting workflow to run adhoc queries
But ideally we'd provide a much more functional version:
- Visual builder for components like
Rate: 5 minutes: metric_name, as well as functions like joins.
- Typeahead hints/completion
- Metric name highlighting
- Label matching validation (can be a source of frustrating errors)
- Inline validation of query
The goal would be to not require users to have specific knowledge of PromQL, so it is more user friendly. Internally in our own usage, we have had quite a few questions on building more advanced queries and it would be nice to not force people to attempt to build these on their own with raw PromQL, and inevitably struggle.