Promote issue to epic with quick action - Copy title, description, activity/comment thread
- Promote issue in project to epic in group using quick action. You can promote only to immediate parent group.
/promote Promote to epic
- Feature is only available for EEU. So the quick action doesn't appear if you don't have the license.
- Permission is same as epic creation permissions. If you have permission to create an epic in the group, and you have permission to close the issue, then you can promote the issue.
- Once the issue is promoted, it is closed automatically. If the issue was already part of an epic, that relationship doesn’t change. This act of “promotion” is actually just copying behind the scenes. So the only thing that changes with the original issue is that it is closed.
- You can promote a closed issue. It just remains closed.
- None of the attributes (assignees, labels, etc.) change in the issue.
- Epic creator is the person that activated the action.
- The epic has the same title as the issue.
- The epic has the same description as the issue.
- The epic has the activity/system notes thread copied from the issue.
- System notes specific to closing the issue and creating the epic are out of scope. They are here: #7729 (closed).
- Labels handled in a separate issue: See #7730 (closed)
- Notifications are out of scope. See &403 (closed)
Expose confidential information warning
/promoteaction should only be highlighted orange when the issue is confidential, or when the visibility of the project is more restrictive than that of its group:
- Text color is
- Hover background-color is
- Text color is
- If it does not match the previous conditions, the
/promoteaction is styled as every other quick action.
Old button designs